Founded by a trauma therapist rather than a VC-backed company, Evergreen Counseling stands as the pioneering boutique, trauma-informed therapy center in the nation.
At Evergreen, our focus is on our clients, delivering exceptional, professional, warm, and humanistic care. Each team member is trauma-informed and equipped with advanced training in trauma treatment modalities, ensuring our ability to serve clients dealing with single incident traumas or early relational traumas (commonly known as developmental trauma).
Moreover, at Evergreen, we prioritize our staff by offering the most comprehensive benefits package among therapy centers in the Bay Area (details below). Fully licensed clinicians can tailor their schedules to suit their needs (assuming 25 clients are seen each week), receive ongoing training, consultation, and advanced education opportunities. Our clinical team benefits from highly responsive leadership and administrative support, creating an environment conducive to success in their roles as therapists.
About The Role
We are currently in search of a couples counselor who is a trauma-informed clinician, adept at skillfully addressing relational trauma, often referred to as attachment trauma or developmental trauma, when presented by one or both partners in a couple.
As a trauma-informed couples counselor at Evergreen Counseling, your primary focus will involve working with high-functioning couples, where either one or both partners identify as adult children of mood- and personality-disordered individuals. This often results in heightened discord, relational strain, and unhappiness compared to the "average" couple.
This role requires the willingness and ability to manage a caseload of 25 couples per week and the capability to sensitively work with couples expressing a range of sexual, gender, and lifestyle preferences.
Like all positions at the center, this role embodies the values of Evergreen Counseling: professional excellence, warmth, and clinical rigor. You will contribute to our collective effort to create an inclusive environment for all of Evergreen’s clients.
In addition to delivering high-quality clinical care to your caseload, your responsibilities will include ongoing completion of the required documentation (including treatment plans, SOAP notes, charting, discharge notes, etc.). Additionally, you'll conduct any necessary consult calls with prospective new clients assigned to your caseload, reach out to lateral providers when and if needed, and have the opportunity (though not mandatory) to participate in monthly peer support groups and/or access Evergreen Counseling’s clinical leadership team at any point for consultation and support.
Evergreen Counseling is dedicated to ensuring our clinicians have the time and support needed to care for themselves and develop their skills as we serve our clients.
- An active, unrestricted LMFT/LCSW/LPCC license or an active license in clinical psychology (PhD or PsyD from an accredited university), fully licensed, with no acceptance of Associate applicants at this time, practicing in California (eligibility irrespective of residence).
- Trauma-informed approach, adept at working with couples dealing with relational trauma, also known as attachment or developmental trauma histories.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with couples, including some online experience.
- Willing and capable of conducting 25 couples counseling sessions weekly, with complete flexibility to define your optimal schedule. You have the freedom to see clients between 8 am and 8 pm, Sunday through Saturday (please note: in-person session hours may be somewhat restricted based on our center’s room schedule).
- Maintain a private, confidential, and sound-proofed home office with a reliable internet connection.
- Demonstrate qualities of compassion, warmth, personability, hard work, and reliability.
- Ready and able to commit to a full-time role at Evergreen Counseling for a minimum of 2 years.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- 401K plan with 4% match
- Paid sick time
- Long term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- 529 savings plan
- Workplace and work schedule flexibility: Work from our beautiful, downtown Berkeley offices or work from the comfort of your home on a flexible schedule determined by you
- Ongoing trainings, workshops, and guest presenters on salient clinical topics
- Enjoyable, diverse, motivated, and rewarding clients
- Monthly peer consult groups led by our Clinical Director
- One month of time off per year
To apply, please email [email protected] with the following:
- Cover letter
- Your responses to the following supplemental questions:
- What motivated you to apply for this position? Why did you choose this group practice over others?
- Why is joining a group practice more appealing to you than starting your own private practice?
- In terms of working from home, do you possess a private, confidential, quiet, and professionally presented home office or space for client sessions, free of distractions?
- Can you commit to working at Evergreen Counseling for a minimum of two years?
- Would you consider yourself a trauma-informed clinician, and do you feel capable of working with relational trauma, developmental trauma, and early attachment trauma? If you perceive gaps in this area, are you open to training by our clinical leadership team?
- What are the primary tools or approaches you utilize in supporting couples facing higher levels of conflict and strain?
- What are your long-term career goals, and where do you envision yourself in three years?
- If hired, when can you start this position full-time or on a partial basis (e.g., starting at Evergreen, working some hours, and gradually transitioning from your current position)?
- Is there anything else you would like our hiring team to know about you that doesn’t stand out on your resume but makes you an exceptional candidate for this position?