Founded by a trauma therapist and EMDR Clinician (not a VC-backed company), Evergreen Counseling is the first boutique, trauma-informed therapy center in the country.
At Evergreen, we center our clients, providing exceptional, professional, warm and humanistic care. Each staff member is trauma-informed and possesses advanced training in trauma treatment modalities so that we can serve clients presenting with single incident traumas, or early relational traumas (sometimes called developmental trauma).
At Evergreen, we also center our staff, providing the most comprehensive benefits package of any therapy center in the Bay Area (more on that below), allowing fully licensed clinicians to build schedules that work for them (assuming 25 clients a week are seen), providing ongoing training, consultation, and advanced education opportunities, all the while surrounding the clinical team with exceptionally responsive leadership and administrative support to help you in your role as therapist.
About The Role
We are currently seeking a couples counselor who is a trauma-informed clinician and is equipped to skillfully work with relational trauma (often called attachment trauma or developmental trauma) when one or both partners in a couple presents with this.
As a trauma-informed couples counselor at Evergreen Counseling, you will largely work with high functioning couples who may (either one or both) identify as the adult children of mood- and personality-disordered parents.
This position should be willing and able to carry a caseload of 25 couples per week and should be able to sensitively work with individuals and couples who present with a range of sexual, gender, and lifestyle preferences.
This role will, like all roles at the center, embody the values of Evergreen Counseling: professional excellence, warmth, clinical rigor, and this role will join the rest of the team as we strive to create an inclusive environment for all of Evergreen’s clients.
In addition to providing high quality clinical care to your caseload, on an ongoing basis you will complete the (relatively minimal but rigorously sound) documentation we require (treatment plans, SOAP notes, charting, discharge notes, etc.), conduct any necessary consult calls with prospective new clients assigned to your caseload, get in touch with lateral providers when and if needed, and you will have the opportunity (but are not required to participate in) monthly peer support groups and/or access Evergreen Counseling’s clinical leadership team at any point for consultation and support.
Evergreen Counseling is committed to ensuring our clinicians have the time and support to care for themselves and develop their skills as we serve our clients.
- You have an active, unrestricted LMFT/LCSW/LPCC license or active license in clinical psychology (PhD or PsyD from an accredited university) and are fully licensed (please note we are not accepting associate applicants at this time for this role) to practice in California (note: if pursuing a fully remote role, you do not need to live in California to be eligible for this role; you simply have to have an active CA license).
- You consider yourself to be trauma-informed and equipped to work well with couples where one or both partners have relational trauma (sometimes called attachment or developmental trauma histories).
- You have been licensed for at least five years and worked with couples for at least 2 years, including some of that time online.
- You have advanced training in a couples counseling treatment methodology (such as Gottman, EFT, PACT, etc).
- You’re willing and able to hold 25 couples and individual counseling sessions weekly. If you are applying for the fully remote position, we ask that a portion of your schedule include the hours of 3-8pm PST (exact details to be determined). If hybrid or in-person, your hours will be somewhat limited to the room availability we have open at the center (exact details to be determined).
- You have a private, confidential and sound-proofed home office with reliable internet connection during times you have to work from home.
- You are trauma-informed, neurodiverse-informed, and skilled at working with queer clients or those involved in ethical non-monagoamous relationships.
- You are compassionate, warm, personable, hard-working, and reliable.
- You’re willing and able to commit to a full-time role at Evergreen Counseling for at least 2 years.
Evergreen Counseling provides a competitive compensation package that ranges between $100,000 and $150,000 and includes not only fees earned from clinical sessions and administrative time but also the following benefits to support your physical, mental, emotional, and financial wellness, now and in the future:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family.
- 401K plan with 4% match.
- Paid sick time.
- Long term disability insurance.
- Life insurance.
- 529 savings plan.
- Ongoing trainings, workshops, and guest presenters on salient clinical topics.
- Enjoyable, diverse, motivated, and rewarding clients.
- Monthly peer consult groups led by our Clinical Director.
- One month of (unpaid) time off per year.
To apply, please email [email protected] with the following:
1. Cover letter
3. Your responses to the following supplemental questions:
- What drew you to apply for this position? Why this group practice versus another group practice?
- Why do you want to join a group practice instead of starting your own private practice?
- Regarding working from home, do you have a private, confidential, quiet and professional looking home office or space in your home to conduct client sessions (without mess or other distractions in the background)?
- Please give examples of when you have worked with people with with relational trauma/developmental trauma/early attachment trauma. Please share what populations you served and what trauma-informed skills you used.
- What (if any) is your advanced training in working with couples? Please be specific about any certifications you possess.
- What are the primary “tools in your toolbox” when it comes to supporting couples who present with higher levels of conflict and strain? Give examples of how you employed each tool.
- As a center, we serve adolescents (13-19), adults (20+), couples and families. Which population you had the most experience with, which population have you had the least experience with? Which do you prefer most, which do you prefer least?
- Are you interested in a fully remote, an in-person, or a hybrid (meaning in-person and remote) position with us? For any of your choices, what would your preferred schedule (days and times) be?
- Are you able and willing to commit to working at Evergreen Counseling for at least two years?
- What are your long-term career goals? Where do you see yourself in four-five years?
- If hired, when are you able to begin this position full-time or even on a partial basis (eg: starting at Evergreen and working some hours and building up while you leave your current position)?
- Is there anything else you would like our hiring team to know about you that doesn’t stand out on your resume that makes you a wonderful candidate for this position?